• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax Consequences of Property Settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

PegS

unregistered posted July 12, 2000 07:31 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My husband and I are in Washington State and are getting divorced. We own 25% of a business; when we purchased the stock, the majority stockholder gave us a loan for the purchase of our shares, and the loan is not yet completely paid. Since this is a community property state, my husband will buy my 12.5% of the business when we agree to a purchase price (value of the stock, minus my share of what is left of the loan amount). When I receive this settlement money, how should it be treated for income tax purposes? Is it ordinary income? Is it a capital gain? If he makes payments to me over a period of years, is it treated as an installment sale? Or is it just a plain, ordinary property settlement that isn't taxable?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">