• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taxation of contingency fees?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

k1ngdog

I'm expecting a large settlement in court case that is soon to close. The amount is substantial, and my lawyer will naturally receive a large $ amount on a contingency basis. My question is: am I taxed on his cut of the pie, which I never see, or does he? Thanks in advance.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by k1ngdog:
I'm expecting a large settlement in court case that is soon to close. The amount is substantial, and my lawyer will naturally receive a large $ amount on a contingency basis. My question is: am I taxed on his cut of the pie, which I never see, or does he? Thanks in advance.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

He is the only one taxed "on his cut of the pie" - not you. If your "cut of the pie" is for personal injury, then you won't be taxed. If any of your "cut of the pie" is based upon "lost wages or lost earning capacity", then you will be taxed on that portion by the IRS and if applicable, your State.

Your attorney will eventually send you your "net" settlement proceeds on an "Attorney Trust Account" check. The most you'll ever see of the "Gross" settlement check is when he/she calls you into the office to sign it. Then, that check will be deposited, by law, into the Attorney Trust Account checking account. After it clears, you'll receive your share.

Then, it's between you and the IRS to inform the IRS at taxtime, whether any amount of that check is for wage reimbursement.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">