• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Telephone bill harrasment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pledaru

I am from India and I working in USA on work permit since August '99. I reside in Auburn Hills, Michigan. I had shifted to a new apartment on 30th, December, 1999. I never had a telephone connection on my name till then. Since I moved alone, I requested for long distance telephone service from AT&T, Ameritech being the local provider. When I requested for the long distance service, AT&T has offered me the one-rate-plan, which indicates that all long distance calls will be charged 7 cents/minute and international calls will be charged at 55 cents/min. So, AT&T confirmed me on 30th, December, '99 that I will be enrolled to the one-rate-plan. Till february, 2000 I didn't receive any bill from AT&T. When I called AT&T and enquired about the bill, I was told that my account has only $50 to be paid and AT&T will not send a bill till this crosses certain limit. I thought AT&T was trying to save some paper. On March 15th, I was called by AT&T and I was told that my bill was $4900. I thought, what the heck and inquired from AT&T where the things went wrong. Then I came to know that I was not billed according to the one-rate-plan of AT&T, eventhough I requested for it. I was charged 29 cents/min for long distance and $3.8/min for International calls. By the way, I was billed from 3rd, March and not from 30th, December, '99. So from 30th, Dec, '99 to march, 2nd, 2000 all my calls were not billed. According to AT&T my service started on March, 3rd. AT&T people says Ameritech requested long distance service on behalf of me and it didn't enroll the one-rate-plan. I argued with AT&T, but in vain. I clearly told them that I am ready to pay the bill if charged according to one-rate-plan. But AT&T is not considering my request and is obstinate on paying the full amount. I am not financially strong to pay $4900. If this bill is recalculated according to AT&T one-rate-plan, I should get around $1200 bill. Please advise me on how to tackle this situation. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

ALawyer

Write to Michael Armstrong, President and CEO of AT&T and send a cc to William Kinnard, Chairman of the Federal Communications Commission. And read Communications Law on FreeAdvice.com first.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">