• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant Issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

masada1971

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN

I'm not sure where this question falls in this forum, but I have an issue with another tenant in an office building that I rent space in. Despite it being outside, this individual insists on smoking in the doorway of my company and it is bothering my employees. We've asked her to not smoke in the area, even placed no smoking signs in the area, but she just sits under the sign and lights up. We've contacted the owners of the building, and they say they'll just warn her not to smoke in the area. (It isn't working.)
Is there anything I can do legally about this? Could this fall under rights that renters have or something like that?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN

I'm not sure where this question falls in this forum, but I have an issue with another tenant in an office building that I rent space in. Despite it being outside, this individual insists on smoking in the doorway of my company and it is bothering my employees. We've asked her to not smoke in the area, even placed no smoking signs in the area, but she just sits under the sign and lights up. We've contacted the owners of the building, and they say they'll just warn her not to smoke in the area. (It isn't working.)
Is there anything I can do legally about this? Could this fall under rights that renters have or something like that?
Smoking outside (in this case) doesn't violate MN state law. Check your local municipality for restrictions they may have.

masada1971

State laws are one thing, but I may have an argument concerning city ordinances which state that one cannot smoke in areas designated smoke free. And technically, it is on the property we rent, not a public area.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
State laws are one thing, but I may have an argument concerning city ordinances which state that one cannot smoke in areas designated smoke free. And technically, it is on the property we rent, not a public area.
TECHNICALLY, it's a common area that is outdoors.

masada1971

So if an ordinance was passed, allowing a sign outdoors stating the immediate outside area is to be smoke free, what does the ordinance cover?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">