• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

terminated agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rodneybigchief

im a brick contractor operating in oklahoma.i have been terminated by the home builder in the middle of the job for what i can surmise to be a personal conflict at no time during the termination discussion was there any mention of the quality of work.i have tried to obtain the remaining money owed for the work performed and have not recieved it and i was wondering what avenues i may use to obtain compensation for the work performed.i fear they may take the approach that the work was less than satisfactory to avoid paying the remaing balance.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by
rodneybigchief:

im a brick contractor operating in
oklahoma.i have been terminated by the
home builder in the middle of the job for
what i can surmise to be a personal
conflict at no time during the
termination discussion was there any
mention of the quality of work.i have
tried to obtain the remaining money owed
for the work performed and have not
recieved it and i was wondering what
avenues i may use to obtain compensation
for the work performed.i fear they may
take the approach that the work was less
than satisfactory to avoid paying the
remaing balance.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are several issues to be aware of such as the following: are you a licensed contractor, do you have a written construction contract with the prime builder and if so what are the terms for cancellation ie. use of defective material, poor workmanship, not completing portions of the work in a timely manner. Also what are the terms of payment and acceptance of the work. If the quality of the work is poor, the builder should have raised the issue and let you know in writing as the reason for cancellation of your contract. If in your opinion, the work is acceptable and in accordance with general industry standards, you would be entitled to payment for the portion of the work done to date. You may have to get the project architect to certify that your work is acceptable and completed according to the plans and specifications. If you are licensed you may have mechanics liens rights but check with an attorney in your State of Oklahoma.

[This message has been edited by HomeGuru (edited May 27, 2000).]

T

Tracey

Have your attorney file a mechanic's lien on the house. If they don't pay you in full (+ lien costs and attorney fees and interest) within a few months, you can foreclose on their house. This will get their attention.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">