• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IS there any Liability when re-selling goods?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I want to start an Internet business where I will be re-selling goods/products.

Can I or the business (not incorporated or LLC ) be sued or be liable for any situations" that may arise after the sale.

Here are some examples:
A) I sell someone a Collectible Barbie Doll, and somehow the customers' toddler gets into the box, and almost chokes on a small piece they found inside the box( a shoe, handbag, etc...)

b) I sell sosmeone a mini-home stereo, and one of their kids tinkers around with the internal electronics and gets a shock, and a burn, from their tinkering.

Can these, or any similar circumstances allow the customer to sue me or the business for a product we didn't make. If the answer is YES, can you explain why...

Also, Would there ever be an occasion where we could be sued/liable for the re-sale of products we didnt manufacture?

Thank you for your time.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by [email protected]:
I want to start an Internet business where I will be re-selling goods/products.

Can I or the business (not incorporated or LLC ) be sued or be liable for any situations" that may arise after the sale.

Here are some examples:
A) I sell someone a Collectible Barbie Doll, and somehow the customers' toddler gets into the box, and almost chokes on a small piece they found inside the box( a shoe, handbag, etc...)

b) I sell sosmeone a mini-home stereo, and one of their kids tinkers around with the internal electronics and gets a shock, and a burn, from their tinkering.

Can these, or any similar circumstances allow the customer to sue me or the business for a product we didn't make. If the answer is YES, can you explain why...

Also, Would there ever be an occasion where we could be sued/liable for the re-sale of products we didnt manufacture?

Thank you for your time.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Yes, everyone in the distribution of the product, or everyone in "the stream of commerce," from materials, to manufacture, to jobber, to wholesaler, to you, is responsible.

Make sure you have good insurance.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">