• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are there any specific laws or regulations against this business?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cameron0010

I have started a business that allows students to have their university homework completed by tutors through a website service. I cant seem to find any clear cut laws against this but I am not too sure, I know there is other services out there like this. I have included in the terms and conditions that users agree that they understand the answers you receive from homework can only be used as a study reference. Is this even necessary to include? Are there any laws that are against the service our website provides? If I went to a university to promote this business would I face any issues? I am in Nebraska

Last edited:

quincy

I have started a business that allows students to have their university homework completed by tutors through a website service. I cant seem to find any clear cut laws against this but I am not too sure, I know there is other services out there like this. I have included in the terms and conditions that users agree that they understand the answers you receive from homework can only be used as a study reference. Is this even necessary to include? Are there any laws that are against the service our website provides? If I went to a university to promote this business would I face any issues? I am in Nebraska
You want to approach a university to promote your service that helps students cheat? Seriously?

One problem with these "tutor" sites that provide answers and essays to the lazy and stupid is that the tutors also tend to be lazy and stupid, providing the same answers and essays to multiple students (and the answers and essays are frequently wrong or not of a quality that will benefit a student).

The students, who probably should not be in a university in the first place if they cannot fulfill the requirements on their own, are generally caught and flunked, suspended or expelled.

The websites themselves are not illegal, unless they advertise more than they realistically can deliver and/or unless they deceive students into thinking they won't get in to any trouble at school by using the material provided.

LdiJ

You want to approach a university to promote your service that helps students cheat? Seriously?

One problem with these "tutor" sites that provide answers and essays to the lazy and stupid is that the tutors also tend to be lazy and stupid, providing the same answers and essays to multiple students (and the answers and essays are frequently wrong or not of a quality that will benefit a student).

The students, who probably should not be in a university in the first place if they cannot fulfill the requirements on their own, are generally caught and flunked, suspended or expelled.

The websites themselves are not illegal, unless they advertise more than they realistically can deliver and/or unless they deceive students into thinking they won't get in to any trouble at school by using the material provided.
I agree with Quincy. However, if you want to develop a real business that provides real tutors...which are people who provide real additional instruction to students, and you do it honorably, then you actually might have a viable business.

Proserpina

I agree with Quincy. However, if you want to develop a real business that provides real tutors...which are people who provide real additional instruction to students, and you do it honorably, then you actually might have a viable business.
... of which there are many, and reputable, already in existence. :cool:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

I must also add, as a non-traditional college student (a senior Senior) taking purely online classes, that many instructors will have students submit essays via a checking service to make sure there is no plagiarism. At my university, there is a pretty strict plagiarism policy, too. They don't play around with that kind of junk anymore. There are also instructors during testing who have students log in through a secure browser that takes control over the entire desktop of the student's system. You must have a running webcam/working microphone, and do an entire 'background' check to make sure no-one else is in the room (I can only hope that I offered the proctors some amusement for that class). :cool:

tranquility

When they first started up, I think some AG's tried to shut down essay purchase websites with some conspiracy to commit fraud theory.

Do a quick search on how hard it is to get an essay over the internet.

quincy

When they first started up, I think some AG's tried to shut down essay purchase websites with some conspiracy to commit fraud theory.

Do a quick search on how hard it is to get an essay over the internet.
Some states address the selling and buying of essays in their state education laws. A website that encourages cheating or plagiarism or copyright infringement by selling papers to students in those states would be violating state law. I did not find that Nebraska was one of those states that specifically makes it illegal, though. Michigan does not, either.

Here for an example of the type of laws some states have used to hold both the students and the websites accountable is the one from New York (§213-B Unlawful Sale of Disertations, Theses and Term Papers): http://law.onecle.com/new-york/education/EDN0213-B_213-B.html

How a site advertises their services can make a difference in whether they can share liability with the student who uses a purchased paper in a way that violates a state law. Disclaimers are not going to work to protect a website from legal action.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">