• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trademark Infringement?????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AlGuy35

I plan to start a website that caters to Southeastern Conference Football Fans and want to know if it is legal to include the conference's initials (SEC) within a larger domain name (i.e. http://www.SEC----.com)????? Please advise

Alguy35 Alabama

T

Tracey

How could they have TMed the initials for the Security & Exchange Commission? ;) You can't put their logo on the site withour permission, but they can't have TMed 'SEC' unless they wrote it in a very stylized way. Domain names are written in Times New Roman or Arial, right?

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

J

JFS

AlGuy35, I have a domain name that was recently challenged by a firm who makes essentially the claim you are wondering about. I am at this time trying to find help in determining where I stand on the issue. If you have come to an understanding about this issue, please post it here. I am very anxious for any word that will help me understand my own situation. -JFS

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">