• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Transfer Assets from C corp to LLC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

atomz4peace

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I own a software company that for many years has tried but never really sold much, so we could argue that the value of the software is nothing.

We were advised to close the C corp and transfer the code ownership to a new LLC, just in case we ever did well and managed to get acquired so that we would avoid double taxation.

This leaves me with 2 questions:

1) Is there anything I need to document or forms to file to "prove" that the current value of the company/software is nothing so I'm not doing anything illegal in transferring ownership for no cost?

2) We have some marketing materials using the old name. I know the LLC needs to be a different name, but any risk of using the old website, biz cards, etc...? The new name will be as close as California will let us.

Thanks!

Jim

You can't just "transfer" an asset from the C corp to an LLC. See an attorney or a CPA for advice and to make sure you get the books right.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">