• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

which type of non profit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BeatenDownBob

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I own and operate an online gaming community. We have members but do not charge dues. In the past we've asked for donations to help with operating costs explicitly. I'd also like to sell merchandise (shirts, stickers, mugs, etc) both to members and the public to help offset the need for donations - again with the purpose to pay for operating costs. Meanwhile I'd like to separate myself legally from the financials - so I was thinking of filing for my community to become a non profit. What is the best way to go about this? Would it be a public benefit non profit? Mutual benefit? 501c6 or 501c7?

I suppose technically we're a private club. Anyone can apply but current members can vote on the approval / rejection of any applicant. However we as a community we help the public by promoting good sportsmanship as well as relaying industry news via social media.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Frankly, I don't think you qualify for any of the tax exempt statuses. Just because you don't make a profit on your business doesn't make it tax exempt. The problem is you are providing a service not just providing a social or sportsmanship aspect.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">