• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment Insurance Issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lilsister

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York.

I fired someone in December 2007 who worked for us for exactly 3 weeks and 2 days. We recently received paperwork from the DOL stating that we had to pay towards this person's unemployment which means our rates go up.

The girl was fired for misconduct and insubordination. When I explained this to them and how she only worked for us for that short time, the answer basically was they didn't care.

I'm appealing the decision. My question is what are my chances of winning? Is this possible that I'd have to pay for someone who worked for that short period time and do I only pay 3 weeks and 2 days worth or am I going to have to pay for the full 26 weeks along with her other former employers?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My question is what are my chances of winning? Is this possible that I'd have to pay for someone who worked for that short period time and do I only pay 3 weeks and 2 days worth or am I going to have to pay for the full 26 weeks along with her other former employers?
I'm sorry, but the FA Crystal Ball was mistakenly used for bowling night last night. It is currently out for repair...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">