• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unfriendly Landlord

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

r_achar

I live in an apartment complex where the owner/management had provided a common laundry room for the residents. It had several coin-operated washer/dryer machines with a reasonable charge. Also provided was a change dispenser for our use.

Last week, the management replaced the machines with a new set of washer/dryers. These machines require more coins (about 40% increase) with no value addition. Moreover the coin dispensers are removed from the laundry room without notice.

This has caused a lot of frustration to the residents. The management has taken evasive action when tried to contact them.

Is there any class-action we, the residents can take to make the apartment management listen to us?

Any advise will be appreciated.

Thanks
Ram Achar

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by r_achar:
I live in an apartment complex where the owner/management had provided a common laundry room for the residents. It had several coin-operated washer/dryer machines with a reasonable charge. Also provided was a change dispenser for our use.

Last week, the management replaced the machines with a new set of washer/dryers. These machines require more coins (about 40% increase) with no value addition. Moreover the coin dispensers are removed from the laundry room without notice.

This has caused a lot of frustration to the residents. The management has taken evasive action when tried to contact them.

Is there any class-action we, the residents can take to make the apartment management listen to us?

Any advise will be appreciated.

Thanks
Ram Achar
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have no cause of action unless all your leases specify that L will provide the on-site laundry facilities and the cost to use will remain the same. If you feel frustration now, try loading all your dirty laundry in your car and drive to the nearest laundromat, wait there for hours while your clothes are washed and dried. Fold the clothes and drive back home to unload. Just the hassle is worth paying a couple extra quarters per load.
The new appliances are more energy efficient and should save you time especially when you use the dryers.

R

r_achar

Homeguru,

Thanks for the quick response. I guess, I failed to make my point clear.

The problem arises because of the fact that the new machines need more coins and the residents have to go the nearest bank or gas station to get coins. Until now, we had taken it for granted that we will get coins in the laundry room.
Is the managemenet reasonable in removing an existing facility without making alternative arrangements, or expaining why they did this? This is not a one-time affair, we use the laundry 3 or 4 times a week and we will have an extra chore (to get coins from outside) when we go to the laudry every time.

Thanks

R

r_achar

Hi Homeguru,
Thanks for the quick response. I guess in my last post I failed to make myself clear.

The problem arises due to the fact that the new machines require more quarters and since the coin dispensers are gone, we have to go to the nearest bank or gas station to get the coins. So far, we had taken it for granted that we get the coins in the laundry room.

This is not a one-time affair, we need to do laundry 3 to 4 times a week, and every time we have to run to get for coins from outside.

Has the management acted responsibly in removing a facility without informing us why they did this? Perhaps not, but are they right ? In your opininon, they are right. This is sad.

Thanks for the reponse.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by r_achar:
Homeguru,

Thanks for the quick response. I guess, I failed to make my point clear.

The problem arises because of the fact that the new machines need more coins and the residents have to go the nearest bank or gas station to get coins. Until now, we had taken it for granted that we will get coins in the laundry room.
Is the managemenet reasonable in removing an existing facility without making alternative arrangements, or expaining why they did this? This is not a one-time affair, we use the laundry 3 or 4 times a week and we will have an extra chore (to get coins from outside) when we go to the laudry every time.

Thanks
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey no biggie. Use common sense. Go to the bank and exchange greenbacks for those rolls of quarters. Act like you are playing the slot machines in Vegas but instead of hiting the jackpot your payoff is clean and dry laundry.
Why are you blaming the management so much. Maybe people were trying to break into the coin exchanger machine. Maybe the profit margin was slim. If I was the owner and the residents complained, I would say "ok you want laundry facilities or you want to complain. If you do not appreciate the ammenities, I will take all the appliances out and turn the area into a common area library/reading area. Instead of wash and read, it will be read and read. And you wouldn't need quarters either. It would definitely help our literacy problem. Maybe I can stock the shelves with some law books."

R

r_achar

Hi homeguru,

Thanks for preaching me common-sense.

Perhaps you will also make an equally popular (or may be more popular) landlord as ours.

May your tribe grow.

(Sorry for my ignorance and arrogance - I could not help it).
rachar

HomeGuru

Hi homeguru,

Thanks for preaching me common-sense.

Perhaps you will also make an equally popular (or may be more popular) landlord as ours.

May your tribe grow.

(Sorry for my ignorance and arrogance - I could not help it).
rachar
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I prefer common cents. And I get enough hassles from my tenants as it is.
No need to apologize. And hey, do the laundry. Cleveland rocks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">