• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unique business idea... what do I need to do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jordanbruce1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I'm looking to start a business with a somewhat unique business model and I was hoping for some advice in terms of what I would need to start this business, other than just a business license.

The details: I plan to start a business which delivers bagels, donuts, and pastries to medium-sized businesses for sale on the premises via the honor system (a box with a payment slit in it). There is no cost to the business, transactions take place between my business and employees. So there is no "storefront," per se.

I'd buy a delivery van that can be driven with just a class C license.

I do plan to use my home for receiving the delivered baked goods, packing them up in the morning, and storage of any non-perishable inventory.

Q1 What permits will I need considering:
-Food handling but not manufacturing
-Food delivery
-Using my home as for the stated purposes above
-Anything unaccounted for given the circumstances I laid out

Q2 What inspections would be required?

Q3 What restrictions would there be regarding my home and the delivery vehicle? For example, would I have to outfit my home/vehicle somehow?

Thanks!

TigerD

The details: I plan to start a business which delivers bagels, donuts, and pastries to medium-sized businesses for sale on the premises via the honor system (a box with a payment slit in it). There is no cost to the business, transactions take place between my business and employees. So there is no "storefront," per se.
Save your time. Send me all your money and I'll go buy a bagel with it when I want one.

How do you plan to stay in business when you are giving away your product? People bring trays of donuts and stuff into my office all the time. It is hard enough to get a thank you - much less getting them to spring forth with some green. Then you have the theft issues. First it will start with someone making change for the pop machine. Then someone will make almost dollars into whole dollars -- thanks for the the loan by the way.

You are thinking about how to provide products and services. That's great. Just work on the putting cash into you pocket a little more.

DC

jordanbruce1

Save your time. Send me all your money and I'll go buy a bagel with it when I want one.

How do you plan to stay in business when you are giving away your product? People bring trays of donuts and stuff into my office all the time. It is hard enough to get a thank you - much less getting them to spring forth with some green. Then you have the theft issues. First it will start with someone making change for the pop machine. Then someone will make almost dollars into whole dollars -- thanks for the the loan by the way.

You are thinking about how to provide products and services. That's great. Just work on the putting cash into you pocket a little more.

DC
The boxes are locked, people can't just take money from it once it's in. The concept has been tried elsewhere with payment rates of 85% or higher. Though I think you could make money with a much lower rate of payment. The idea that there are some people who won't pay is built into the model. I'm I only care if I can make money from it.

Regardless, I just need the legal advice to know what it's going to cost me on a yearly basis so I can accurately figure out my fixed costs.

TigerD

Call the health department and ask about the required inspections and licensing. Be ready for them to tell you you can't run a food handling business from your kitchen unless it has been inspected and approved.

Call the city and ask about a business license. Tell them you intend to run a food handling business out of your kitchen.

They will advise you on the licenses and permits and fees.

Select an accountant to help you set up your books properly. Find a local business lawyer to set up your business properly.

DC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">