• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Use Care Title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sanderse

I purchased a 1988 Cougar in July from someone I didn't know. I gave them $500
cash and got what I thought was a valid title. It turns out there is still a lien on the car, and I can not transfer title until the lien is paid. I can not get ahold of the person that sold me the car. What can I do?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sanderse:
I purchased a 1988 Cougar in July from someone I didn't know. I gave them $500
cash and got what I thought was a valid title. It turns out there is still a lien on the car, and I can not transfer title until the lien is paid. I can not get ahold of the person that sold me the car. What can I do?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

All you can do is pay the lienholder, and have that person sign the Pink Slip releasing the lien. Then, you'll be able to register the vehicle.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

S

sanderse

Thanks. I did call the Company that has the lien. They said I need some kind of receipt showing that I paid the owner money
for purchase of the car. Stupidly, I did not get a receipt.

K

keeshy2

How did you get the cash? You should have gotten a receipt when you got the cash if you used an ATM or a teller - show them that receipt. Maybe they'll accept that as proof. After all, who carries around $500 in cash anymore?
Hope you get the title somehow!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">