• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Using Pictures Of Celebrities In An Online Store

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

f430

I would like to use a picture of celebrity in an online store that sells sunglasses. All I will do is posting a picture of them wearing the sunglasses I sell. I will not write anything like: "He loves the sunglasses" but what I actually want to write is: "He wears the sunglasses". All I want to show is that the celebrity wears the sunglasses.

Is it allowed? Thanks.

HomeGuru

I would like to use a picture of celebrity in an online store that sells sunglasses. All I will do is posting a picture of them wearing the sunglasses I sell. I will not write anything like: "He loves the sunglasses" but what I actually want to write is: "He wears the sunglasses". All I want to show is that the celebrity wears the sunglasses.

Is it allowed? Thanks.
**A: go right ahead and face the wrath. Of course Zigner allows for a nominal fee.

quincy

U.S. Law Only.

Under the copyright laws of most nations, the photographer who took the photo of the celebrity in the sunglasses would hold the copyrights in the photo (absent any agreement to the contrary). You would need the photographer's permission to use the photo in the manner you propose.

In addition to permission from the copyright holder, you would need the celebrity's permission to use his/her image to promote your online store, as the celebrity holds both privacy rights and publicity rights in his/her image.

f430

First thanks for your replies. And what about simply mentioning their name in that way: "Jessica Alba was seen wearing Ray Ban sunglasses". And then a link to the picture of her in. Is that okay?

Last edited by a moderator:

quincy

You cannot use a celebrity's name or image to promote your online store without risk of being sued.

In what U.S. state do you reside, or in what country?

f430

I'm from Israel. So if I can't use their name, can I write something like that for example: "Click here to see who wears Ralph Lauren" and then send them here: xxxxxxxx

I don't mention their name that way. I just send the visitors to another website.

sandyclaus

I'm from Israel. So if I can't use their name, can I write something like that for example: "Click here to see who wears Ralph Lauren" and then send them here: xxxxxx

I don't mention their name that way. I just send the visitors to another website.
We do not address questions that pertain to other than US law here.

Note that in the manner you choose to use the celebrity photo, it will appear that they endorse the product. If they're selling it for you, they expect to be paid for it - PERIOD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">