• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Using Quotes and Sayings

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tratra2222

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California

Would I need to get permission to use a quote or saying in my greeting cards? Also, I will be using my own poetry in these cards. Do I need to have the short poems copy written?

Last edited:

quincy

It may be necessary for you to obtain permission to use quotes on your greeting cards. It depends on the quote. Some quotes are covered by copyright, others trademark, others are free to use with no legal risk.

You may want to use the "Search" feature at the top of this page. In the "keyword" box, enter "permission to use quotes." There are several posts, mostly from the Copyright section of the forum, that cover this topic rather extensively.

As for your poems, they are already copyrighted once they are created. There is no need to do anything more. However, for your added legal protection, you can register your copyrighted poems. And the registering of your poems is required before any infringement action can be taken in court against an infringer (ie. someone "steals" your poems for their own use).

You can go to U.S. Copyright Office for more information on the copyright law, and again, you may wish to review the other posts on this forum that cover quotes and permission to use them.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">