• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Using the word "Official" in print

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JamieBoy

I have a map called the "Official" Map of various cities. One governmental agency is refusing to allow me to distribute it in the free visitor info area on grounds that their legal dept. for the state has ruled it could be misleading to the consumer. What kind of position do I have, and how should I approach the state when I call them.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JamieBoy:
I have a map called the "Official" Map of various cities. One governmental agency is refusing to allow me to distribute it in the free visitor info area on grounds that their legal dept. for the state has ruled it could be misleading to the consumer. What kind of position do I have, and how should I approach the state when I call them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My "Official" Response:
You may be fighting a losing battle that is not worth it. If the government (AG's office) takes the position that the word has a connotation to the consumer, then they will use taxpayer dollars to fight it out with you. In their opinion, the word offical could be construed by the general public as meaning government sponsored or approved or from the government. Similar to the words government, state, city, county, town, approved, etc. The interpretation of the word official to the operation of government is too close.

Request in writing a written legal opinion from the Office of the Attorney General with citations. Ask what other words are prohibited ie. state, government etc. In the meantime while you map out your strategy, maybe you could change the "official" name with a sticker or stamp of some sort to one of these words: unofficial, accurate, local, public, free, tourist, visitor, sighseeing, historic, famous places, guide, the real, the best, the most accurate, the real unoffical, most used, free for all, freebie, hot, current, genuine, the most read, easy, EZ, scout, MAX, good places, the good, great, super, mad, etc.

The "Official" HomeGuru,
GM (General Mapreader)
Which Way Is North Map Publications Co. an official division of The Official Vistors and Tourists Map Corporation.

[This message has been edited by HomeGuru (edited August 05, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">