• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vehicle Mechanics Lein

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KnightGarage

What is the name of your state? MICHIGAN.

I'm having an issue with an out of state customer (illinois).

I was taken on to put a different engine in his car, install some aftermarket parts, and generally fix it up a bit. What was supposed to be a job to take under a month ( i never stated a definate deadline the car woudl be finished) ended up taking 2 months due to the fact the car generally being a piece of crap, and i had to wait for him to send me an extremely important part i needed to be able to test all the systems, which i got finally 3 days before i delivered the car back to him in chicago.

i drove to chicago (800 miles there and back) 3 times, first to pick up cash for the engine to go into the car and the car itself ($1800) second was to pick up 2 parts for the car, this was about 2 1/2 weeks later. 3rd was to deliver the car after he decided to call the local sherif as he decided i had the car too long. this was april 19th. we delivered the car with less then 5 miles test driving to make sure it was tip top, it seamed excellant. once we get to chicago he says he can only pay with a check, i was reluctant to take it but decided he wouldnt try anything. i tried to cash the check the next morning and there was insufficient funds in his account. i immediately call him. without luck. 6 hours later he says the car has an oil leak and he cancelled the check and has no intention of paying me, i imediately get a sheriff involved and i get 800 dollars of 1350 for parts and labor out of him, i offer to fix the oil leak on the spot (simple fix) but he refuses to allow me near the car, i make a contract stating he needs to pay me 500 dollars within 30 days of april 19th, i included is vehicles VIN number, make year and model on the contract, i stated what i was being paid for, and he signed it, i signed it and it was signed by a witness.

its now 30 days later and he refuses to pay, and he ruined the engine by trying to fix the oil leak on his own (hes not mechanically inclined) and turned a 15 dollar 1 hour fix into a 650 dollar 2 week labor intensive fix, and insists it is my fault even tho he refused my offer to fix anything that was wrong with it free of charge.

anyway, now tha tyou know the story, this is my question.

i have the contract. i have several emails showing me offering a warranty on my labor and him refusing (i offered to drive out to chicago to fix it for free even after he completely screwed it up, and he refused)

i personally do not have a business liscence but i am a state certified mechanic and im employed by a liscenced mechanics shop, but i did this as a side job without documentation other then the contract and emails.

i want to know if im able to get a mechanics lein on his car, and if so how do i go about it. will the contract be enough?

sorry about the long post. thanks in advance for any help, sorry if this is he wrong forum for this.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">