• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vehicles, Business or personal owned?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stovall

Florida
What is the best and easiest way to claim vehicle expenses?
I just incorporated as effective Jan 1, 2010. Do I sell my work truck to the business or do I just claim mileage? If it's owned by the business, do I have to track personal mileage?
I make many short trips so keeping a mileage log doesn't work for me.
I have to re-register with DMV before end of 2009 but INC. as of Jan 2010. Do I register as personal on Dec 31, 2009 then change to business Jan 1, 2010 and pay twice?

Mass_Shyster

Florida
What is the best and easiest way to claim vehicle expenses?
I just incorporated as effective Jan 1, 2010. Do I sell my work truck to the business or do I just claim mileage? If it's owned by the business, do I have to track personal mileage?
I make many short trips so keeping a mileage log doesn't work for me.
I have to re-register with DMV before end of 2009 but INC. as of Jan 2010. Do I register as personal on Dec 31, 2009 then change to business Jan 1, 2010 and pay twice?
You can not claim personal mileage as a business expense. It isn't.

You really should make a mileage log work for you. If you're too lazy, go ahead and throw some money at the problem. There are GPS mileage trackers you can buy. They will give you date, time, starting and ending address, and miles traveled. If you still can't work it out, get a personal vehicle and don't use the work vehicle for personal use.

You should talk to your accountant about ownership of the vehicle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">