• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbal contract for splitting gambling winnings?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tylersanderson

The situation involves two Texas residents who decide to pool their money together on a Trip to Las Vegas and split all of the gambling winnings 50/50. The verbal agreenment was made while in the airplane on a taxiway at DFW International airport. One individual ends up winning a 2 million dollar jackpot but refuses to split the winnings with the other individual. Is this verbal contract enforcable, are there any similar cases in Texas or Las Vegas?

[This message has been edited by tylersanderson (edited October 10, 2000).]

T

Tracey

With a million at stake, the wronged party should be talking to an attorney who specializes in lottery/gambling agreements.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws. [email protected]

JETX

I don't believe that a contract on gambling winnings would be legal in Texas, since the gambling itself is illegal here. Basically, you cannot have a valid contract that includes an illegal act. This would be like trying to enforce a verbal contract between two bank robbers because one of them didn't do an equal split. Contract, if any, would be unenforcable.

------------------
Steve Halket
Judgment Recovery of Houston
[email protected]
-----------------------
This is my PERSONAL OPINION and is not legal advice! Consult your local attorney for your specific situation and laws!

[This message has been edited by Halket (edited October 10, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Halket (edited October 10, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">