• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Video taping of employees, Mass

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Carolflora

MASSACHUSETTS
I own a small retail store in Mass. I'm wondering if it's legal to video/audio tape employees and several areas of my shop. I would like to purchase a system with audio to monitor employee/customer interactions, job performance, etc. The cameras would be only be in public areas, however, I would prefer the shop owners would be the only ones who know of their existence.

From what I've read on another site, it looks like it is illegal. If this is true, it seems absurd that I can not protect my own business. How would I know if an employee is stealing, badmouthing, acknowledging customers, rude, etc.

I've had several items missing lately (taken by employee or customers, I don't know) and I would like to know what is going on there when I am not there. Thanks for your advice!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">