• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Volunteering and disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania
VolPres, you can add your legal question or law concern to your first post by using the "edit post" feature found in the bottom right of your post - or you can add this information by using the "reply to thread" feature.

The preview post function on this site malfunctions on occasion and will delete a post instead of submitting it. I imagine that is what happened to yours.

VolPres

I know that you can't discriminate but here's the question. Someone has a disability and is collecting full disability and that's fine, they are are social member of a volunteer fire company and that's great, but now they think that they can run calls and be an active member, can the board ask them for a doctor's note clearing them that they can perform the duties of a firefighter for liability reasons ?

Proserpina

I know that you can't discriminate but here's the question. Someone has a disability and is collecting full disability and that's fine, they are are social member of a volunteer fire company and that's great, but now they think that they can run calls and be an active member, can the board ask them for a doctor's note clearing them that they can perform the duties of a firefighter for liability reasons ?
Is there a reason why the board can't simply say, "No, sorry"?

VolPres

The trustee's, 3 of them, say we are violating hippa laws, the officers of the company, 5 of us, are saying because we are a volunteer organization if the person wishes to be an active firefighter then get the ok from your doctor other wise yes, the answer is no. Problem is that the person is one of the trustee's and even though the officers say no the trustee's are saying yes he can . They won't go to our lawyer nor will they (the trustee's )allow me to because they control the money.

Proserpina

The trustee's, 3 of them, say we are violating hippa laws, the officers of the company, 5 of us, are saying because we are a volunteer organization if the person wishes to be an active firefighter then get the ok from your doctor other wise yes, the answer is no. Problem is that the person is one of the trustee's and even though the officers say no the trustee's are saying yes he can . They won't go to our lawyer nor will they (the trustee's )allow me to because they control the money.
Where does HIPAA come into this?!

Do any of these trustees understand what HIPAA is and isn't?

Dave1952

Don't know much about Fire Depts. , what does "run a call" mean? What sort of training does this fellow have? Would you go into a burning building with this guy? Has he passed the certification exam? Why are you uncomfortable about this guy.
I'm familiar with HIPAA and don't understand how that applies here. Ask the trustee what that's all about. You're a firefighter so you should be able to recognize smoke being blown.
Are you saying that the social member is a trustee and is not recusing himself in matters that concern him?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">