• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Want to cancel reservation on privately-owned condo

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

NoShow

I sent a $100 deposit for a condo rental (in Myrtle Beach, SC) with a signed note that is was for a particular unit. I now want to cancel the reservation. (It is a week and a half before the rental date) The owner wanted a $1200 payment due a week before we arrived. I have not sent that money. Other than the $100 check and the note, I haven't signed anything. My question is-- Can I be legally responsible for the remainder of the money if I cancel and the unit is not re-rented? I reside in New York. Thank you for any replies!

T

Tracey

Yes, you can be held liable for the full $1200. What does your agreement say about cancellation? The more time you give the owner to find a replacement tenant, the more likely the condo will be rented to someone else. If O can re-rent, O isn't going to bother traveling to NY to sue you. Even if O can't re-rent, O probably still won't go to the bother of suing in NY.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">