• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Want to start a semi-nude cleaning service

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

racerbabe35j

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nebraska
My partner and I are thinking of starting a semi-nude cleaning service. The client would have the option of the maid being clothed, bikini or topless. All clients would be pre-screened and no one would ever clean alone. This is a legitimate cleaning service with absolutely no physical contact. All of the maids would be over the legal age of 21 in Nebraska and Iowa and they would be paid by 1099 as independent contractors not employees. I need to find out if this is a legal option in these states and if so, what are the main pitfalls to look out for.

quincy

I did a cursory review of Nebraska laws (not Iowa's) and can find no law that would specifically prohibit you from operating a semi-nude cleaning service. HOWEVER, a THOROUGH review of ALL state business laws and regulations, and a THOROUGH review of ALL criminal laws that could apply to the type of business you are considering operating, and a THOROUGH review of city and county ordinances, would need to be done.

I recommend you hire an attorney in your area before investing any time, energy or money into this venture.

Of the Nebraska laws I reviewed, one I came across does regulate sexually explicit live exhibitions that intend to arouse or appeal to prurient interests. This could cause your business some grief, as "intend to arouse" and "prurient interests" are legally vague (although sexually explicit is less vague).

In addition, there are truth in advertising laws. You would need to make sure your business advertisements were true descriptions of the services you offer and that they do not in any way mislead or deceive consumers into thinking they may get more than a dust-free home when hiring your workers. A business such as yours should expect to be investigated.

You have a senator in Nebraska, by the way, who has introduced a bill that would limit, among other things, the hours a nude worker could work and the distances that must be kept between a nude worker and a patron, and all touching of nude workers would be prohibited. It does not appear the bill at this point has much chance of being enacted into law. The bill seems patterned after an existing county ordinance in Kentucky.

I can list for you some of the potential "pitfalls" I see in running a semi-nude home cleaning service. I am sure there are others.

Your workers could find themselves the subjects of surreptitious video recordings (which could find their way onto the internet). Your workers could decide to "moonlight" (opening you and your business up to prostitution charges). Your workers could encounter children in the home (which could expose you and your workers to all sorts of charges). There could be difficulties in screening out sex offenders and sexual predators and those with criminal intent (putting your workers at risk). And liability insurance could be prohibitively expensive.

The costs of uniforms, on the other hand, are bound to be cheap.

Last edited:

tranquility

When people try to do things which are not being done, legal costs should be a part of the business plan. You need to see an attorney for an opinion in the first place and be prepared for some legal expenses in the second.

racerbabe35j

Thanks

Quincy- Thank you for taking time to do some investigation for me. You and I seem to be on the same page as far as pitfalls go. My partner tends to rush in to things only seeing dollar signs rather than the big picture. It's my job to pull in the reigns a bit. He made up a flyer (which I carefully edited complete with disclaimers) it does outline services offered and specifically that no physical contact, of any kind, is allowed.

I've never used a service/ forum like this before and you have given me other things to think about. Thanks again for your help.

M
:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">