• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Web Hosting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

WebHostingRay

Hi.
I want to start a web hosting business, but I am worried about liability issues. I plan on hosting small mom and pop type companies, but nevertheless, I am still worried about liability. If I spell out in the client agreement that I am not responsible for business loss resulting from the web site being down, and also spell out that I will not guarantee 24 hours of up time but will try to keep the site up as much as possible, will that cover it? What do I have to do to make client agreements legally viable? I can't afford incorporating at this point. This business will be just a side thing to make a couple extra bucks. Thanks!

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WebHostingRay:
Hi.
I want to start a web hosting business, but I am worried about liability issues. I plan on hosting small mom and pop type companies, but nevertheless, I am still worried about liability. If I spell out in the client agreement that I am not responsible for business loss resulting from the web site being down, and also spell out that I will not guarantee 24 hours of up time but will try to keep the site up as much as possible, will that cover it? What do I have to do to make client agreements legally viable? I can't afford incorporating at this point. This business will be just a side thing to make a couple extra bucks. Thanks!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You already have a good idea on this. Review various hosting contracts especially the disclaimers. There are many on-line. Even if it is your side business, you should get an attorney to review your contract and you should incorporate. If you do not have the money needed to do this, wait until you do since a few extra bucks will not break you. Mom and pop type operations can and will hire non Mom and pop attorneys. Do not start up until all your ducks are in order. Or you may be on the menu as roast duck in the future.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">