• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Website designed for red light runners

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Atlantean

What is the name of your state? California

Just curious, I'm starting up a website that would display drivers that run red lights and then post it in my website (www.rollingredlights.com) which is not up yet. Each section of the video will be displayed for the internet user to click and view it, then rate it as "guilty" or "not guilty", basically acting as the jury. I would probably capture a still photo from the video to show the driver up close. The site will be geared to safety. The area I would video would be an area in Santa Barbara that is notorious for these red light runners. My purpose is to curb this by video tape and a sign by my side the states "RollingRedLights.com" that the driver would see as they pass.
Is this a privacy issue?

divgradcurl

What is the name of your state? California

Just curious, I'm starting up a website that would display drivers that run red lights and then post it in my website (www.rollingredlights.com) which is not up yet. Each section of the video will be displayed for the internet user to click and view it, then rate it as "guilty" or "not guilty", basically acting as the jury. I would probably capture a still photo from the video to show the driver up close. The site will be geared to safety. The area I would video would be an area in Santa Barbara that is notorious for these red light runners. My purpose is to curb this by video tape and a sign by my side the states "RollingRedLights.com" that the driver would see as they pass.
Is this a privacy issue?
If you are taking the photographs or videotapes from a publically-accessible location, then there are no privacy issues you need to concern yourself with. There is generally no expectation of privacy when you are out in public. Just don't use any closeup photos (where you can identify the driver) to advertise your site.

Atlantean

Thank you for your response. I was considering on the photo, I would place a black stripe across the face so not to be so ovious on the identity. As far as the sign goes that states the URL, yes this would direct traffic to my site, but more importantly it would direct them...those who run the red. To me its a slap in the face to the culprit and overtime, those who consistantly run this light, will be aware of this and in time I'm sure this will taper down. This should be a pretty fun project to launch and with great cause. I just wanted to know where I stand with it being legal vs. illegal. So for other who may read this, please chime in with your thoughts on that. Again, thank you for your quick and professional response

Davis

It may be more appropriate re: privacy issues to place the "black sticky" across the plate # because several people may be insured (and hopefully licensed) to drive one auto. Come to think of it, both.

It's a great idea and I hope it works.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">