• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is a website disclaimer that doesn't require clicking "I Agree" worth anything?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mpcremata

Is a website disclaimer that doesn't require clicking "I Agree" worth anything?

I know that making the user formally accept the terms of a disclaimer makes it much more effective, legally. Doing this, however, can really destroy the flow and functionality of a website. Is a non-clickable disclaimer worth anything? Aside from making it plain, pithy, and visible, can anyone offer any advice on how to maximize the legal enforceability of a disclaimer? Can you direct me to case law dealing with ineffective disclaimers on websites? Thanks very much!

websolutions

You are still bound

I am not a legal expert. But when you are visiting some other website, you are using their property. It becomes your duty to see their terms and conditions or disclaimers. If the website does not publish them, you may ask them to do so or request the link.

quincy

No disclaimer, no matter how carefully worded, can protect a website from a lawsuit. Many websites rely, instead, on insurance, to cover the costs of any lawsuit that may arise from the content on their sites.

For what I believe is the best blog disclaimer, check out "legal redux: Herche's Blog Disclaimer," written by Cody Herche. I think it covers pretty much everything that needs to be covered in a disclaimer. ;) :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">