• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What constitutes a business?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stardoggie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

If I have a full-time job and want to make craft "things" in my spare time,
unrelated to my real job, and sell them, is that a business? Do I have to get a business license if I want to sell my "things" to an established business for resale? Can I just start selling my crafts locally and wait to see if it is going to be profitable before I get a business license? Do I have to charge sales tax?
Do the organizations who sell candy bars or cookies for a fund raiser have to
get a business license or pay sales taxes? Can I legally call my sales a
fund raiser too?
Are people who sell thier dog's puppies supposed to get a business license? What really constitutes a business? The feds say you have to make a profit from your hobby for 3 out of 5 years? And do you have to apply for local, state and federal licenses? I want to do this all legally, but it's so confusing, please help!

JETX

Sorry, but you have exceeded the forums allotment of daily questions. Please edit to include no more than THREE questions in any one thread.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">