• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is the definition of "business days"?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

limibe

On the evening of Friday, August 25, a salesman came to my home in Minnesota and talked me into signing up for a subscription of a magazine. The form I signed indicated I had 3 business days to cancel the contract. On Saturday, August 26, I sent a notice of cancellation to the office manager based in Michigan. Recently I received a letter from him stating that he did not receive my cancellation notice until the morning of Tuesday, August 29, and therefore my cancellation notice was not valid. Which days are included as business days? Is my cancellation notice valid?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by limibe:
On the evening of Friday, August 25, a salesman came to my home in Minnesota and talked me into signing up for a subscription of a magazine. The form I signed indicated I had 3 business days to cancel the contract. On Saturday, August 26, I sent a notice of cancellation to the office manager based in Michigan. Recently I received a letter from him stating that he did not receive my cancellation notice until the morning of Tuesday, August 29, and therefore my cancellation notice was not valid. Which days are included as business days? Is my cancellation notice valid? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Minnesota Statutes:

645.15 Computation of time.

Where the performance or doing of any act, duty, matter,
payment, or thing is ordered or directed, and the period of time
or duration for the performance or doing thereof is prescribed
and fixed by law, the time, except as otherwise provided in
sections 645.13 and 645.14, shall be computed so as to exclude
the first and include the last day of the prescribed or fixed
period or duration of time. When the last day of the period
falls on Saturday, Sunday or a legal holiday, that day shall be
omitted from the computation.

325G.07 Buyer's right to cancel.

In addition to any other rights the buyer may have, the
buyer has the right to cancel a home solicitation sale until
midnight of the third business day after the day on which the
home solicitation sale occurs. Cancellation is evidenced by the
buyer giving written notice of cancellation to the seller at the
address stated in the agreement or offer to purchase. Notice of
cancellation, if given by mail, is effective upon deposit in a
mailbox, properly addressed to the seller and postage prepaid.
Notice of cancellation need not take a particular form and is
sufficient if it indicates, by any form of written expression,
the intention of the buyer not to be bound by the home
solicitation sale.

The key phrase is: " . . . is effective upon deposit in a mailbox . . . " In other words, it makes no difference when they "receive" the cancellation - - it could be 3 months later; it doesn't matter!!

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

[This message has been edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE (edited September 19, 2000).]

P

peter

This should teach you something YOU are a cheapskate!

So to avoid anything like this happening again in your life, MAIL it Certified Mail, with a Return reciept, for $3!

Problem solved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">