• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What do I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jkg

In January I attended an open house for a home based business - without naming the company - it was a home-based business similar to Tupperware or Pampered Chef, where there is an independent demonstrator. I enjoyed my visit - I ended up ordering $85 worth of product. I expected my order to arrive in a few weeks. However, a few weeks later the demonstrator called to tell me my shipment was lost due to a recent snow storm, she was going to re-order the product from her company and call me in a few weeks. I never heard from her - in that time, I ended up selling my house and moving - when I finally was able to reach her - she replied that she was very sorry, her husband had been driving around for 3 mos. with my order in his trunk - he was supposed to have dropped it off at my house and never did. She told me that they were going through a divorce and things had been crazy in her life. She promised to deliver the goods, but never has!!! This is my problem: I don't have a receipt - I can't find a receipt anywhere (I suspect it has been misplaced or thrown out in the move), all I have is my cancelled check - I have contacted her SEVERAL times with no reply (phone calls, e-mail) - I have contacted her company with no reply - I seem to get a big run-around from them ("We're still trying to contact her, etc."). And I have heard three months of this. What is my next course of action? Do I show up on her doorstep and demand the money? Do I hire an attorney? Do I take her to small claims court? I just want my $85 back and immediately, since it has been 8 months. I live in Arkansas. TIA!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jkg:
In January I attended an open house for a home based business - without naming the company - it was a home-based business similar to Tupperware or Pampered Chef, where there is an independent demonstrator. I enjoyed my visit - I ended up ordering $85 worth of product. I expected my order to arrive in a few weeks. However, a few weeks later the demonstrator called to tell me my shipment was lost due to a recent snow storm, she was going to re-order the product from her company and call me in a few weeks. I never heard from her - in that time, I ended up selling my house and moving - when I finally was able to reach her - she replied that she was very sorry, her husband had been driving around for 3 mos. with my order in his trunk - he was supposed to have dropped it off at my house and never did. She told me that they were going through a divorce and things had been crazy in her life. She promised to deliver the goods, but never has!!! This is my problem: I don't have a receipt - I can't find a receipt anywhere (I suspect it has been misplaced or thrown out in the move), all I have is my cancelled check - I have contacted her SEVERAL times with no reply (phone calls, e-mail) - I have contacted her company with no reply - I seem to get a big run-around from them ("We're still trying to contact her, etc."). And I have heard three months of this. What is my next course of action? Do I show up on her doorstep and demand the money? Do I hire an attorney? Do I take her to small claims court? I just want my $85 back and immediately, since it has been 8 months. I live in Arkansas. TIA!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Obviously, you know where this person lives. Your first step to collecting a private debt is to mail a courteous, but firm, letter demanding reimbursement/refund of your money within 10 calendar days from the date of your letter. I would strongly suggest that you send such letter by Certified, Return Receipt, mail.

Let her know that after the 10 days, it is your intent to file a lawsuit in Small Claims court, but that it is your desire to avoid that remedy if at all possible; but that the choice is hers.

Do not mention anything personal about her situation with her divorce; keep your letter short, to the point, and stay completely business-like.

Good luck.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">