• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What do I provide to an investor in my company to make the investor feel secure?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MarkMarkov

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
New York
I have an investor that wants to put up capital for me to start a business. I have been in this business before, but this capital will allow me to operate on a much greater scale. A new entity will be established for the business.
One issue is that this investor is outside of the United States and does not plan to visit. How do I make the investor feel safe that they've invested in my company and hold rights to their capital? In other words, I don't want to tell her "just send me the money", I want her to have some document or certificate saying that she has invested in my company. In reality, she has little interest in the business and does not have a visa to the U.S., but I want to set this up correctly. I heard this is done by issuing shares, but I am not sure... can someone please advise on how to do this correctly? Tnx.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">