• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What Entity can we use?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mroresponse

What is the name of your state? California

I would like to start a business with a Physician that involves the reporting of drug testing to DOT and non-DOT companies by a qualified MRO (Medical Review Officer.) We have no ownership in the Collection companies that collect the samples or the Labs that test the samples. It will be our job to verify negative and positive test results to the various companies we contract with.

My question is in regard to the type of entity we can set up for this business. Apparently, according to the Medical Board or Board of Medical Quality Assurance, there are some rules specific to companies owned by a non-MD and MD when there is any potential health care involved. (The only potential "health care" involvement is that of discussing positive test results with employees to find out if there is a reason for the positive result.) For that reason, I have been told that we cannot form a LLC or general partnership.

We would like to own this company equally (50-50) and share in all the expenses as well as profits. To that end I ask you the following:

1. Is there an entity that a non-MD and MD can own together?
2. The business would be based initially from home - problems?
3. Business Lic, Fictious Name Permit, etc

Thank you so much for your help as we are trying to get this set up by Nov 1st and this is our stumbling block!

I look forward to your response

Lori

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">