• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When a corporation cannot afford counsel, who represents the corporation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

stargate

When a corporation cannot afford counsel, who represents the corporation in a U.S. District Court?

D

dan148

stargate said:
When a corporation cannot afford counsel, who represents the corporation in a U.S. District Court?
I imagine the upper management of the company, (Ie:pres. VP, etc...)
Or the corporations Registered agent. But would care to elaborate on the circumstances.

S

stargate

A corporation that has no assets is being sued in a civil case in U.S. District Court. The court states that only an attorney can represent a corporation, but the company has no funds to pay an attorney. What does the company do?

D

dan148

stargate said:
A corporation that has no assets is being sued in a civil case in U.S. District Court. The court states that only an attorney can represent a corporation, but the company has no funds to pay an attorney. What does the company do?
I do not understand, My corporation (Restaurant) was sued several times, granted I had an attorney represent the suits. However, after my restaurant was closed and the corporation was dissolved I, myself and my accountant represented the company in pending lawsuit hearings without a problem. So I guess you will have to just wait until an experienced attorney reads your post and hopefully can better assist you.
All I can really say from hear is "You can't get blood from a stone" so I wouldn't know what to tell you if that's in fact what the courts says. I would just show up as the Pres. and tell the judge...Look dude, we cannot afford an attorney to represent my company, if you are going to put a judgement on my company and (and/or me depending on the structure of the corp.) then just do it, Have a nice day your honor. Dissolve the corporation which has to be done anyway seeing that you cannot afford to stay in business.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">