• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Where do I start?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lilredgt

What is the name of your state? TN

My husband and I have begun a business from home. It has picked up enough to allow him to stop working outside of home. I have been home on and off for the past several years to raise kids before they start school. I have been self teaching myself web and graphic design (using very low tech software and no software for the website design; strictly hand coding).

Okay, so my husband decided to turn his life long passion into a career. I set up our website and we've been doing steady business (and quite a few times it has been a little overwhelming-and that's good!) since October of 2003.
My husband's credit is HORRIBLE. He owned a business from 1990-1993 and has a pretty serious tax issue that he's slowly paying off (but had ignored for many years).
My credit isn't wonderful either, but it's better than his. But, it isn't good enough that I could personally qualify for a loan or even get a cell phone w/out a major deposit.
We live in Tennessee, so I believe that married couples are seen as individuals and he could go one way (like going completely bankrupt) and I could go another (like putting the business and everything in my name).

We have a few serious problems holding us back. First of all, we rent. And our rent is more than what a lot of people pay for a mortgage. We seriously need to move and want to buy. We're finished giving our money to someone else.
I do not have a business license. If I get a business license, will they check out zoning areas? We are working from our home and possibly could get by with it, but possibly could be told to move it someplace else (which would more than likely put the business on hold, as we would HAVE to make that move).
Also, with the type of business that we are in, we need liability insurance or something. I've seen many disclaimers on websites. Are these self made and just posted on there? Are they legit? It is hugely possible that we could come across someone who just might want to start trouble and place blame on us. And it's hugely possible, w/out a disclaimer or anything, that the other person would win.
We have also probably hit the area that we would qualify for paying taxes. I've been saving all receipts. I've been told that just about everything (including phone, power, food, gas, etc.) can be deducted.
I also really need help with setting up a business and marketing plan. Our biggest downfall is our own weakness in spending profit. Having an unreasonable rent payment plus other bills, we are extremely tight and constantly playing catch up. I am horrible with money and so is he! I do not want to pay someone else to work my money for me though. Is there software that works this out? I bought PeachTree 2000something at a Yard Sale (still new in shrink wrap), can I use this software to completely run our business?

I thank anyone that can shed some light on all of this. We really want to make this work and it has HUGE potential. Major potential and it's in a market that's not going anywhere anytime soon. We also advertise most of our business on a forum. This forum is what made us decide to do this and has been the main source of our customers. I'd also like to start my own forum. The forum that we advertise on has serious potential, but is run by a bunch of people w/ bad attitudes. This is a whole other area that we could expand our business and begin to really branch out.

Sorry this got to be so long. I've been wanting to post for quite some time and this site has been in my faves, but I've finally decided that it's time for me to step up and get this business going. After all, that is my part of the job.

Thanks again.

BelizeBreeze

You either need to contact the city hall offices where you are located (in Franklin it's downtown in the City Administraton building and in Murfreesboro it's in City Hall just off the town square) and ask them zoning and license questions. There is no way we can tell you that from a website when we don't even know the county in which you life.

As for your software queston, once you register the software (if it hasn't been registered before) then yes, you can use it. But, peachtree 2000 is old and does not reflect the current tax code. You'd be wasting your time and effort. Go to CompUSA (or other computer store) for a recent copy of Money2004, QuickBooks 2004 or some other program.

All other questions you've asked need to be answered by your tax perparer or the city and/or county in which you live.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">