• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who collects the winnings?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Solson

I have recently won $10,000 from a soda bottle. The person who purchased the soda for me is requesting 50% of the winnings after taxes. A prior arrangement was not agreed upon such as "If you win, I get half". Is she legally entitled to 50% of the winnings?

I

illuminotme

I'm not a lawyer, but I would imagine that if there was a dispute you could take it to court, spend more than all the winnings on legal counsel, then decide who owes more on the debts incrued. Was this person a friend? Is it worth $5000.00 to lose a friend? Why not share the winnings, like you would share the soft drink? You be the judge.

I

illuminotme

Wait..on second thought, maybe you do have the right for all the money. Yep. I think what you should do is keep a ledger and legal agreements on your person at all times so if, say..your Grand Ma asks you if you would like for her to buy you a "Coke" when she gets through pumping your gas at the 7-11, you can have them all ready in case you win the Million Dollar Coke prize from the soda she just bought you. Make sure you have her sign all the legal disclaimers before she goes in to the store to get you your coke!

ok..I'm sorry.....forgive me for this reply...

It just sounds horrible to me to think that a "Friend" would question another "Friend" about winnings of anything that friend one bought for friend two or vice versa!

T

Tracey

It's yours. Either she bought it and gave it to you as a gift, or you bought it from her, or you asked her to buy it & gave her money, in which case she was acting as your agent. She's the one who has to prove that you two entered into an agreement to pool your money to buy 20 oz sodas together in hopes of winning the $10,000...... Can you say, "NOT?"

Explain gently that she was your agent/donee/seller, and doesn't have any right to the money. If she sues you, you'll make her pay your attorney fees! Then offer to take her out for a nice dinner just because you like her.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">