• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who is Liable? URGENT

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

habari10

I need URGENT help and advice from anyone out there!

I am in the State of California. Several months ago I stupidly lent substantial amount of money ( my lifetime savings) to a “friend” who was a resident of the State Of California at the time, with a verbal agreement that the money would be returned to me within a month. Subsequently, she moved to the State Of Massachusetts. After nearly 4 months after lending the money to her and numerous long distance calls, I received a check from my “friend” for the amount concerned from her bank account in Massachusetts. Surprise, surprise the check was not honored due to NSF.

A further 4 months later as well as numerous long distance calls my “friend” wired the money into my bank account in California from her bank account in Massachusetts. I thought that was the end of the matter and at this point in time our friendship ended.

Alas, 2 months after I received the wired funds into my account I was contacted by the Government Officials in California regarding the wired funds I received from my “friend”. I was verbally informed that my “friend” wrote a check from her bank account in California that she had closed when she moved to Massachusetts and had deposited this check into her bank account in Massachusetts. My “friend’s” bank in Massachusetts cleared her deposited check after a 5 business day hold upon which she wired “cleared” money to me in my bank account in California. I was also verbally informed by the Government Officials that since this money was fraudulently acquired by my “friend” from her closed bank account in California, this money belongs to that Bank and that I will be receiving a court order to return this money back to my “friend’s” bank in California (where she no longer has an account).

A week after I was contacted by the Government Officials, I noticed that the exact amount concerned was debited from my bank account (without my authorization) though I had not received any court order or any official correspondence to return the money. In fact to date, which is 2 weeks later, I have not had any official correspondence or further official contact. My bank has not given me any explanation as to why this money was debited from my account.

My questions to you are:
1) Can my bank debit the money from my account without my authorization or explanation by them? This money was in my account for more than two months.
2) If my “friend’s” bank in California negligently honored her check (from her account which was closed by her approximately 5 months earlier), how can I be liable to return this money which now belongs to me? I would have thought that either the bank concerned should try and recover their money from my “friend” or suffer the loss for being negligent on their part!
3) I intend to defend my Life savings by seeking legal assistance. What type of expert lawyer should I contact who would specialize in this matter?
4) Assuming I do receive a court order, can I appeal against this court order?
5) What options do I have and what should I do?

I am desperately seeking your advice!
Thanks in advance.

Habari.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">