• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

worked for the Scrooges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

faithnlve

What is the name of your state? vt Well just some sound advice here. Never go into business with your family. I was close to my family. When we opened a business together that is when the problems started. Everyone acusing the other of being controlling, and so on, so I got out of it, not on the best of terms, but didnt expect what happened afterwards. My mom told everyone in the family I was selfish and would not allow me even in the place of business. My oldest brother bought out my percentage. It didn't end there. My mom went around town telling people I was this terrible person, selfish, even telling people my past life with an abusive ex, and that I probably deserved it. Well, guess what, the family christmas party was put on in the warehouse of the business last week, and this week 2 birthday parties for my brothers, and I was completely excluded, not invited, ignored, To this day not one phone call from one family member. It seems since I am the only family member not working in the business I am the bad guy. I can't imagine hurting anyone like this. And let me tell you it hurts. My landlord called me yesterday saying I misled him on my lease. My mom called him to tell him about my life, especially my hubby's and my bankruptcy, my abusive ex, being in court alot due to ex, couldn't pay bills, so on and so on. That part of my life was 10 years ago. My landlord did call back an apologized to me. So we are ok again. Anyways, I am sitting here trying to not cry, trying to figure out how money overpowered them to hate me. Like I said, be careful going into business with family, it can be devastating. Faith

rxis

I'm sorry as well.

This may have nothing to do with your situation. Its just some quick thoughts i felt like typing up.

It is essentially paramount to the family and the firm to be realistic in the assessment of succession processes.

It truly is a difficult thing to do business with family. My cousins, siblings, and I are all second generation U.S. citizens. Our first generation parents are very close and live their lives together. I became invovled in our businesses and was successful up to a point. I felt that I was clashing with the first generation way of doing things(old school) and since most of them are not officially retired I had decided to leave the firm.

Problems also came from the second generation of our family. In my instance, it wasn't too much of an issue since I was practically the only serious devotee to the business; however, the "little" issues do add up and are important. Just trying to imagine running a successful family business as second generation members is difficult to do. We are more independent from each other and our spouses are not nearly as close as the first generation are. Although my siblings and I have always been close, we have drifted apart further than we had imagined once we settled down with significant others and relocated. Personally, our family culture that molded the relationships which kept us together has evolved with the times.

There is just so much more to consider or else a reality check will hit you hard in the gut.

Last edited:

rxis

I'm sorry as well.

It is essentially paramount to the family and the firm to be realistic in the assessment of succession processes.

It truly is a difficult thing to do business with family. My cousins, siblings, and I are all second generation U.S. citizens. Our first generation parents are very close and live their lives together. I became invovled in our businesses and was successful up to a point. I felt that I was clashing with the first generation way of doing things(old school) and since most of them are not officially retired I had decided to leave the firm.

Problems also came from the second generation of our family. In my instance, it wasn't too much of an issue since I was practically the only serious devotee to the business; however, the "little" issues do add up and are important. Just trying to imagine running a successful family business as second generation members is difficult to do. We are more independent from each other and our spouses are not nearly as close as the first generation are. Although my siblings and I have always been close, we have drifted apart further than we had imagined once we settled down with significant others and relocated. Personally, our family culture that molded the relationships which kept us together has evolved with the times.

There is just so much more to consider or else a reality check will hit you hard in the gut.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">