• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Writing Off a Business Trip (Basic Question)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WiscSmallBusine

Hi all,

This is my first post here, but have been learning a lot regarding other legal issues, and now have a question of my own.

I operate an LLC in the Commercial Photography / Commercial Art field, and recently took took a three week trip from Wisconsin to California, and then rented a car and eventually flew back from Denver.

I was contracted by a national sporting goods store to shoot specific images, but also visited a few friends along the way. There are also about 500 other photos which I will be marketing and selling to clients and stock agencies.

Originally, I wasn't planning on considering the trip a "business trip", however I've been told that I should write it off with my 2014 taxes. I basically charged everything for the trip, including airfare, auto rental, gas, food, etc, so have digital receipts - but camped in National Parks for almost two weeks of that time for the nature photography so there were other expenses associated with that.

Might anyone have an opinion on if I should or not - and consider the entire trip as a business expense?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this, any insight you may offer.

Regards,
Jonah

LdiJ

Hi all,

This is my first post here, but have been learning a lot regarding other legal issues, and now have a question of my own.

I operate an LLC in the Commercial Photography / Commercial Art field, and recently took took a three week trip from Wisconsin to California, and then rented a car and eventually flew back from Denver.

I was contracted by a national sporting goods store to shoot specific images, but also visited a few friends along the way. There are also about 500 other photos which I will be marketing and selling to clients and stock agencies.

Originally, I wasn't planning on considering the trip a "business trip", however I've been told that I should write it off with my 2014 taxes. I basically charged everything for the trip, including airfare, auto rental, gas, food, etc, so have digital receipts - but camped in National Parks for almost two weeks of that time for the nature photography so there were other expenses associated with that.

Might anyone have an opinion on if I should or not - and consider the entire trip as a business expense?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this, any insight you may offer.

Regards,
Jonah
I think it could go either way. The safest way to handle it is to carefully divide out the expenses between personal pleasure and business...and document everything carefully. You need hard copies of those digital receipts if at all possible.

WiscSmallBusine

Got it -- thank's much for the input. The overall trip was about 2/3 for personal (traveling, hiking, camping), however my confusing was more that I shot images along the way when I intend to profit from.

I'll plan to go and print out any receipts and records from the trip. Thanks again.

LdiJ

Got it -- thank's much for the input. The overall trip was about 2/3 for personal (traveling, hiking, camping), however my confusing was more that I shot images along the way when I intend to profit from.

I'll plan to go and print out any receipts and records from the trip. Thanks again.
I am going to give you an example that might help clarify the situation for you.

You get an assignment which requires you to fly to NYC. After you are done with the assignment you decide to travel to MA to visit friends/family for a week so you rent a car and drive to MA. After that week you return to NYC, turn in the car, and fly back to WI. You do take pictures during that week that you hope to sell, because the fall foliage is really beautiful.

Your airfare is a business deduction because you had that cost no matter what. Any expenses while in NYC are a business deduction. The cost of the rental car and any expenses you had while visiting family/friends are not. They are not because business was not the purpose of that week. Visiting family/friends was the purpose for that week.

Now, if you decided to travel to MA because you believed that it was a good business opportunity to take photos that you knew would be highly saleable, and you were not visiting family/friends, then my opinion would be different.

WiscSmallBusine

LdiJ,

Thank you for the example and reply. I seems to me like anyone could essentially BS a story and write off a trip around the world, but I understand the importance of separating work and pleasure. To me it just sounds odd, because how could Uncle Sam possibly know what anyones intent or motive was for a trip that involves family and the type of non-contractual work that do that involves a lot of travel expense?

Regardless, I'm going to print off said receipts, and separate as best I can the two sides of expenses.

Thanks again for the feedback! :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">