• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongfully Listed as an LLC member in N.C.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lizwriter

North Carolina:

I am a professional writer from Pennsylvania and I've been assisting my brother and his family from North Carolina with writing pro bono presentations, etc. for a company they are starting up.

This past weekend he indicated that he formed an LLC and that he named me as a member. I was flabbergasted and alarmed! I do NOT want to be a member of this LLC. I never requested to be a member and I was never even asked if I wanted to be a member!

I suspect that my brother thought he was doing me a favor by allowing me entry into a business that appears to have great potential for success. And I certainly wish him well. However, I do not feel comfortable being a part of his business and I want my name off that LLC as soon as humanly possible.

I am very upset as I want ZERO (not limited) liability for my brother's business, of which I play no part other than giving him free written materials to support his start-up.

I did a little research online and saw the form for establishing an LLC -- and it required NO signatures of the members! Further, North Carolina does not require an operating agreement, which would at least require a signature.

I would greatly appreciate any advice you can offer about how I can go about removing my name from my brother's business dealings.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">