• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wyoming LLCs and Filing Foreign Entity in Florida

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

7rashcan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I've been looking into forming an LLC (or two) in Wyoming off and on for a couple of months. I've recently acquired a domain name, personally built Android and iOS based applications, and filed a utility patent (via the use of a patent attorney) that covers the software aspects of said applications. The business will only have an internet/app store presence.

The only issue I'm concerned about is privacy - specifically separating my name from the business and its assets. This is a concern for me because the domain name and mobile applications directly relate to marijuana and the greater marijuana culture. I would like to avoid any awkward questions from future employers or medical schools (in the middle of the application process). And it would be even better if the drug cartels, wannabe gang members, and stoners with too much time on their hands didn't know my name or where I lived.

Is the following scenario possible?

With the use of Registered Agents, I'd create two LLCs - ParentName, LLC and MJBusiness, LLC. I'd set it up so that ParentName is the full owner of MJBusiness and I'd use MJBusiness everywhere on my website, mobile applications, in advertising/promotions, and when registering with Apple and Google to sale my applications. As the owner of ParentName (which will own MJBusiness in Wyoming), I know I'll have to file foreign entity paperwork in Florida - this doesn't bother me as I'm not looking to avoid taxes.

My big question is: Would I also have to file foreign entity paperwork for MJBusiness as well? If so, that would defeat the purpose of privacy.

I do intend on contacting a business attorney in Wyoming once I have a better picture of what I can and can't do.

Thank you for your time,
Jason

latigo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I've been looking into forming an LLC (or two) in Wyoming off and on for a couple of months. I've recently acquired a domain name, personally built Android and iOS based applications, and filed a utility patent (via the use of a patent attorney) that covers the software aspects of said applications. The business will only have an internet/app store presence.

The only issue I'm concerned about is privacy - specifically separating my name from the business and its assets. This is a concern for me because the domain name and mobile applications directly relate to marijuana and the greater marijuana culture. I would like to avoid any awkward questions from future employers or medical schools (in the middle of the application process). And it would be even better if the drug cartels, wannabe gang members, and stoners with too much time on their hands didn't know my name or where I lived.

Is the following scenario possible?

With the use of Registered Agents, I'd create two LLCs - ParentName, LLC and MJBusiness, LLC. I'd set it up so that ParentName is the full owner of MJBusiness and I'd use MJBusiness everywhere on my website, mobile applications, in advertising/promotions, and when registering with Apple and Google to sale my applications. As the owner of ParentName (which will own MJBusiness in Wyoming), I know I'll have to file foreign entity paperwork in Florida - this doesn't bother me as I'm not looking to avoid taxes.

My big question is: Would I also have to file foreign entity paperwork for MJBusiness as well? If so, that would defeat the purpose of privacy.

I do intend on contacting a business attorney in Wyoming once I have a better picture of what I can and can't do.

Thank you for your time,
Jason

How does this fit in with your plans?

"Florida Statutes Section 608.501 Foreign limited liability company; authority to transact business required.—

(1) A foreign limited liability company may not transact business in this state until it obtains a certificate of authority from the Department of State."

And you will find similar registration of foreign entity laws in the other 49 states.

Anyway, it is interesting that you would select Wyoming, as it was the first state to enact laws allowing the creation of limited liability companies having adopted the concept from the Germany Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung (Company with limited liability Gmph).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">