• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Yahoo Auction Scam

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

images

Is there any hope of disputing an online auction sale? I sent payment by Western Union, so my credit card company won't help. Yahoo and Western Union both turned a profit on this $1000 sale, and they won't help me at all. I never recieved the item I won and I have emails from the guy saying he was sorry but he didn't send the goods and he doesn't have the money to return to me. He even asked me if I knew where he could sell his kidney so he could repay me! A whole bunch of other people have been scammed by the same guy, to the tune of more than 10,000 bucks... Any thoughts?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by images:
Is there any hope of disputing an online auction sale? I sent payment by Western Union, so my credit card company won't help. Yahoo and Western Union both turned a profit on this $1000 sale, and they won't help me at all. I never recieved the item I won and I have emails from the guy saying he was sorry but he didn't send the goods and he doesn't have the money to return to me. He even asked me if I knew where he could sell his kidney so he could repay me! A whole bunch of other people have been scammed by the same guy, to the tune of more than 10,000 bucks... Any thoughts?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Yes, I have a thought. I thought you were going to send me $1,000.00 too? Where's the money?

Your money is gone, and P.T. Barnum was correct. Well, actually, while Barnum is affiliated with the famous quote "There's a sucker born every minute", history, unfortunately, has misdirected this quotation. Barnum never did say it. Actually, it was said by his competitor.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

[This message has been edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE (edited June 08, 2000).]

D

Damsel

The FBI is investigating auction scams like this on ebay.

1. Call the FBI
2. Write the CEO of Yahoo "certified mail" and tell them of the situation, that you are contacting the FBI, and that you are considering a civil suit against them for their negligence and failure to take ordinary care in administering the auction.
3. Call the media...especially your local TV consumer reporters. Lots of people are being scammed in online auctions.

4. Where does the Seller live? Another state? Another country? If another state, call the Attorney Generals office of that state & see what recourse you have.

5. Here in California, one might get a Grand theft charge out of it which would be prosecutable with the local Sherrif and Dist Atty.

Also, the UCC code which governs banking allows bank wires to be stopped and reversed which are fraudulent. I am not sure about how this works with Western Union but I am sure the same law applies when Fraud is alleged. Certainly you can sue in Civil Court if the other party is a US Resident although it may not be worth it for a Small Claims situation.

In my opinion, I would pressure Yahoo at the hghest eschelons. They do not want bad publicity.

All the auction sites should have harsher remedies for phony bidders and sellers. I got burned on ebay when trying to sell a car.

If the guy does this repeatedly, it may even be a RICO matter, who knows.

But IAAL is right about one thing, so next time use a credit card or escrow service or UPS COD to insure you get your goods.

I am not a lawyer so do not rely on this as legal advice. But these are my opinions based on a lot of experience. GOOD LUCK!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Damsel:
The FBI is investigating auction scams like this on ebay.

1. Call the FBI
2. Write the CEO of Yahoo "certified mail" and tell them of the situation, that you are contacting the FBI, and that you are considering a civil suit against them for their negligence and failure to take ordinary care in administering the auction.
3. Call the media...especially your local TV consumer reporters. Lots of people are being scammed in online auctions.

4. Where does the Seller live? Another state? Another country? If another state, call the Attorney Generals office of that state & see what recourse you have.

5. Here in California, one might get a Grand theft charge out of it which would be prosecutable with the local Sherrif and Dist Atty.

Also, the UCC code which governs banking allows bank wires to be stopped and reversed which are fraudulent. I am not sure about how this works with Western Union but I am sure the same law applies when Fraud is alleged. Certainly you can sue in Civil Court if the other party is a US Resident although it may not be worth it for a Small Claims situation.

In my opinion, I would pressure Yahoo at the hghest eschelons. They do not want bad publicity.

All the auction sites should have harsher remedies for phony bidders and sellers. I got burned on ebay when trying to sell a car.

If the guy does this repeatedly, it may even be a RICO matter, who knows.

But IAAL is right about one thing, so next time use a credit card or escrow service or UPS COD to insure you get your goods.

I am not a lawyer so do not rely on this as legal advice. But these are my opinions based on a lot of experience. GOOD LUCK!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

You bring up some good, valid points. However, in my own defense, I see 2 or 3 of these posts each week, and it gets so tiring to see how incredibly dumb and gullible some people are with their money and their otherwise good sense; i.e., some people only look as far as their nose, and never run a "what if" scenario. It's only after they've been scammed that they finally understand. As far as I'm concerned, the Internet is NO PLACE to be buying anything - - you're asking for trouble if you do.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">