• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1031 Exchange

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Raju420

Georgia.

My question is that can i do a 1031 exchange for example, i have a service business(not a real estate property) which i am selling it for $700,000 and buying a commercial real esatate property for $250,000. Is it possible to do a 1031 exchange, thank you.

Snipes5

1031 Exchange is to exchange one income producing property for another. This is generally determined to be some type of real estate.

Further, if you are exchanging something worth $700,000 for something worth $250,000, that isn't going to help you. You would normally want to exchange for something of greater value.

If you're willing to take that much of a loss on your business, you don't need to do an exchange.

See a tax professional.

Snipes

Snipes5

If you have something worth $700,000 and exchange it for something worth $250,000, that's a $450,000 loss.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">