• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1031 Exchange - Need real advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cabowabo

Exchange is in California but the exchange proeprty is located in Oregon.

My father recently got divorced and we have sold his investment property that we want to exchange into a fourplex in Oregon. Due to his credit being horrible we could not add him to the loan. I (his son) am purchasing the fourplex and using our perosnal equity line for the down payment. We want to recover the downpayment via the exchange by adding him onto the title of the property either as full owner or % owner required to satisfy the exchange.

Is this possible? There is no difference between my purchase price of the property and the sales price to my father. Since exchange money would be received by me to repay me for the downpayment, is this allowed by the IRS? Read the rules and can't make sense of them. My purchase of the property and the sale to my father would occur in the same week with the same escrow company handling both transactions. Pls help.

abezon

Never attempt a 1031 exchange on your own. Contact a 1031 facilitator for help. It's well worth the $1,000 fee.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">