• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1031 question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ashubhoot

I am in Virginia. I recently sold a property with proceeds going into 1031 account. I have identified a replacement property which fulfills all the conditions listed in 1031. But the problem is the price is a bit high and I need to add co-owner to be able to get approval for the loan. Is it possible to add partner/co-owner in 1031 exchange. Any links or text references regarding this would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ash

Last edited:

abezon

Yes, you can buy a share in some real estate, as long as you reinvest all proceeds. Now, why didn't you call your 1031 exchange facilitator with this question? That's why s/he's getting the $1,000 fee!

ashubhoot

Thanks....

I did asked him this question and he was not sure about this. He said he will find out about this in further detail. But I thought this thing should be pretty common (like adding a partner in proceeds of 1031-- people would be needing that all the time) and he should know about it right away. So I was just trying to research about this a bit more on internet.
Thanks a ton for your quick reply. Also is there any legal term used to represent this type of transaction in 1031.
I was reading about tenants in common option. Is this the legal term used for adding partner in 1031. Or is it just too simple of a transaction to bear any formal legal name?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">