• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1099-C for Deceased mother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tiffsmart

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
I am so confused, and I hope someone can guide me with this-
My mother died (very suddenly) in July '07. I had her final tax return done last year, but just 2 weeks ago I received a 1099-C from her bank on a credit card in the amount of $5600- YIKES! So now what? Do I ignore it (since the IRS and California both received her final tax return, they should know she's dead) or should I amend my own personal tax return to include this? Her final return DID yield a refund in the amount of $300 for the stimulus pmt. )- will they attempt to take that back some how? She had no taxable income (she on social security and disability).
Thanks in advance for any advice.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
I am so confused, and I hope someone can guide me with this-
My mother died (very suddenly) in July '07. I had her final tax return done last year, but just 2 weeks ago I received a 1099-C from her bank on a credit card in the amount of $5600- YIKES! So now what? Do I ignore it (since the IRS and California both received her final tax return, they should know she's dead) or should I amend my own personal tax return to include this? Her final return DID yield a refund in the amount of $300 for the stimulus pmt. )- will they attempt to take that back some how? She had no taxable income (she on social security and disability).
Thanks in advance for any advice.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Absolutely do NOT include it on your income tax return. Its not your responsibility.

Because its not your responsibility you can ignore it, but you can also ignore it because it was issued for 2008 and would not have resulted in any tax due for your mother. Even if it had been issued in 2007 it would not have resulted in any income tax due for your mother...nor would it have caused her to lose her stimulous payment.

Therefore, there is honestly nothing to worry about.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">