• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1099 Discrepancy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Potter5

What is the name of your state? Texas

My husband retired last year. He began receiving his retirement pay with no problems. He went to the VA for his disability exams and earlier this year, they awarded him 60% disability. The award was retroactive to Feb 07. We received the 1099R from DFAS that includes all of his retirement pay for the year, along with a postcard that says to exclude the retroactive portion of the compensation when we file our tax return. We've made copies of the VA award letter and his retiree account statement to substantiate the entitlement to the exclusion. My question is do I complete the 1099R (using TurboTax) with the adjusted figures? Or do I note that he needs to complete a substitute 1099R due to the erroneous figures and then include the correct numbers on that? I'm assuming we'll have to mail in the return along with the copies of documentation to back up our claim.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">