• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1099 employee??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wert

What is the name of your state? Florida
I'm a little confused. I was just hired as a 1099 employee as an annuity type insurance sales person - first time as a 1099er. Am I considered an independent contractor or statutory employee?
My employer is not withholding ANY taxes as I am a strictly commission paid person. The defintions seem to indicate some taxes should be withheld.
Confused...

HomeGuru

wert said:
What is the name of your state? Florida
I'm a little confused. I was just hired as a 1099 employee as an annuity type insurance sales person - first time as a 1099er. Am I considered an independent contractor or statutory employee?
My employer is not withholding ANY taxes as I am a strictly commission paid person. The defintions seem to indicate some taxes should be withheld.
Confused...

**A: it is obvious that you are an IC.

Snipes5

However, in the insurance industry, it is customary for commission based persons to actually be statutory employees.

If that is the case, they should be withholding SS and Medicare, and the employer should be paying their portion.

The income is filed on Schedule C but not subject to self employment because of the statutory nature of the job.

You will need to speak with your HR department on this one.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">