• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1099 Misc

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

arielprod

I received a 1099 MISC from my church, with moneys on line 7 (nonemployee compensation).
I receive money each month from my church for I guess services rendered. Just about each sundayand somthimes other days, I run the sound equipment for the services.
Nothing is taken out of the monies (no taxes, etc).
My question is, is this money considered income even though i don't work for the church? The time I give is all voluntary.

Any help is grateful!!

Arielprod, Georgia

lazar627

Hi there

An organization must report nonemployee compensation on the 1099 MISC for payments exceeding $600 (this includes nonprofit organizations). If you are not an employee and the fees for your services from the same payer total $600 or more for the year, you may receive a Form 1099-MISC. You may need to report your fees as self-employment income.
Hope this helps! Good luck.

Brad

Snipes5

You must report it on your return on Schedule C, subject to self employment taxes. You can claim expenses against it, such as mileage.

If it's truly volunteer, they wouldn't be giving you money for it. That is why it's on a 1099, because they gave you money. You are doing a form of "work" for them, although you are not their employee.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">