• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1099-misc

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MassTaxPayer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA
Hello. My husband received a 1099-MISC for for a prize he won which was valued at $3,000 and reported in box 3 of the 1099. The prize was for a cruise and we had to pay the taxes up front before we went on the cruise. This is not reflected under box 3 (federal income tax withheld). How/where do I report that these taxes were already paid? Thanks for your help!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

MassTaxPayer

The issuer of the 1099 was the radio station which distributed the prize to my husband, but we paid the taxes directly to the cruise line before we could go on the trip. Is there any place we can record on our tax form that these taxes were paid? Thanks so much for your help!

irsos

The issuer of the 1099 was the radio station which distributed the prize to my husband, but we paid the taxes directly to the cruise line before we could go on the trip. Is there any place we can record on our tax form that these taxes were paid? Thanks so much for your help!
Is it possible you paid the cruise line sales tax and not income tax?

LdiJ

Any taxes paid to the cruise line were not federal or state income taxes. Therefore they were not "withholding".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">