• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1099-Misc Box 7

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Michigan Mom

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My friend gets residual commission checks from selling health products years ago. He is no longer active in the business and doesn't claim any business expenses. They issued him a 1099-Misc, using Box 7. Is there any way around paying SE Taxes and filing out Schedule C? In prior years, he's shown the income on line 21 and it's included in his AGI - but he's not done Sch C and paid SE Tax. I don't think this is right based on what I've read - but would like it to be so he doesn't have to pay as much. Any advice?

Snipes5

It sounds a lot more like royalties than non-employee compensation. Can he contact the company and have them change the 1099 to reflect this?

Snipes

Michigan Mom

I went to irs.gov to read the definition of a royalty and I don't think it fits. Because he's still a rep for the company, he gets a "commision" when someone he previously sold the health product to (like vitamins, for example) reorders. He hasn't sign on new customers for years, but his old ones apparently like the products and continue to buy. He's doing nothing to get these checks - just cashing them (can he take an expense for driving to the bank to cash them - ha ha).

Seems odd that he has to pay SE tax when he's not taking any expenses for being self employeed.

Michigan Mom said:
I went to irs.gov to read the definition of a royalty and I don't think it fits. Because he's still a rep for the company, he gets a "commision" when someone he previously sold the health product to (like vitamins, for example) reorders. He hasn't sign on new customers for years, but his old ones apparently like the products and continue to buy. He's doing nothing to get these checks - just cashing them (can he take an expense for driving to the bank to cash them - ha ha).

Seems odd that he has to pay SE tax when he's not taking any expenses for being self employeed.
He's getting income from self-employment he had. The fact he doesn't have any expenses in generating that income has no bearing on whether it's income or whether he has to pay social security tax (which is what the self-employment tax is) is on that income.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">